Friday, September 25, 2009

here at last

i'm here!!! ive actually been here for a week so sorry i havent posted at all. things did not turn out as planned, which i am learning is often the way in kenya. bev and i had some mishap on the road and then we stopped at her children's home for the night and because of obligations she has here we are staying for the week. the boys in the home are great though! they are so fun to hang out with and i am learnng a ton from them. the standard of living here is insanely different. i dont like when they serve me and treat me all special because i am white so i have been helping with all the work and it is EXHAUSTING!! my hands and feet are all blistered, but it is actually really fun doing the work with the people here. they just enjoy everything they do. whether its studying, hauling buckets of water onto the roof for the shower, or shoveling poop out of the latrines they are all laughing and singing. i went to school with some of the boys for a day and man they have it rough. this village is pretty middle class but they were learning on old crates in cement rooms with absolutely no resources. the classes and materil was actually similar to ours, and they were preparing for a standardized test, but the environment in the school feels like being transported into the late 1800s. everything is written on the blackboard because there are no printers (no electricity at all actually) and the children have to stand when the teachers enter a room and they are all terrified of the teachers. they have reason to be terrified as there is very regular corporal punishment. when i was at the school the teachers called me into the office and at first they seemed mad that i had come and were grilling me with questions, but by the end one of the teachers was making me right down my phone number so that she could call me when she comes to visit her son in the us.
the people here are all like that - so friendly and social. i am really going to miss the boys from the home when i leave sunday, and i have only known them a few days! i have so many more stories, but limited internet time and i want to try and upload pictures. all in all i am having an amazing time and i am healthy as can be(besides looking like a lobster and feeling like my hands, face and arms are on fire from sunburn). i miss you all and i hope to hear from you soon, either on here or on email!

6 comments:

  1. Ah I'm so glad to hear everything is going well! I was worried about you since I hadn't heard from you in so long. That's so great that everyone there has a positive attitude about everything and is very optimistic. Continue to post on the blog - I will be checking it frequently to see how you are doing! (and if you can, go on facebook)

    I love you and miss you a lot! Have a great Shabbat and good Yom Kippur.

    - Ariel Katz

    ReplyDelete
  2. ELLIE!!!!!!
    I miss you so, so, so much. I got the chills when I read your blog and message on fbook. I cannot even express my thoughts. Everything just sounds amazing. This experience is going to be incredible. I can't even imagine what it is like to walk down the street and have people react to
    you in the way you described. It's like you are some demigod to them. I want to be there with you and do all the things you are doing. Post as often as you can, but I understand that it's hard so I won't hold it against you if you can't.
    I love you!
    Have a meaningful Yom Kippur (I can't imagine that it won't be)
    Hallie

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG it is SOOOOOO good to hear from you. You have NOOO idea, i have been thinking about you CONSTANTLY. it's happened about 10 times where i've wanted to call u and then im like ahhh. we went to the minyan for yom kippur and then at breakfast aliza and tali and i were reminiscing about all the ice cream we ate and the other adventures we had there, hehe. anyway, i loved hearing about your first few days! i can't wait to follow your experience!

    p.s. if you were at all concerned that no one would be reading your blog, i think it's pretty clear from these comments that you can rely on HEKA to be stalking you.

    LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie, I'll be following your blog and talking with your mother and father to hear your current news. Be cautious, please.

    Steve Rosenthal

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss you, the boys miss you! Send me your address when you have one and keep blogging so we can keep up with you!
    Love you,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ellie,

    Sounds like a great adventure! Take good care of yourself and be careful, ok?

    Hope your new year is filled with joy and learning.

    Margie

    ReplyDelete