Thursday, October 1, 2009

Rabondo

Thanks for the comments!! I am in Rabando! I miss Bev and the boys SO much, which made the adjustment hard, but I am learning to love Rabondo too. I thought people were crazy about the mzungu (white person) in Nakuru but oooh my god I didn't have any idea. Here all the kids below age three get this shocked look on their faces when they see me and then run away screaming at the top of their lungs. The four and five years old will trail behind me as I walk and the brave ones run up and touch me. The elementary kids just stare and giggle while high schoolers make cat calls and whistle or bombard me with questions. The old women are my favorite. I can't understand a word they're saying and they know it, but they will just stand and continue asking me questions and telling me things and then start laughing hysterically.
It was pretty chaotic when I first got here. I went to the elementary school the first day and while I was just planning on getting a feel for it, they sent me to teach a class of eigth graders (many of whom are older than me) and didn't tell me what to teach or when the class ended. The kids kept lying to me because they wanted the mzungu in their class and no one came to relieve me so I was stranded trying to improvise an English class for four hours!
After that I decided I would check out the high school where they told me there I would be teaching beginner computer lessons, but every single computer had viruses and zero protection. I am quickly becomming an expert on technology.
My last job is to volunteer in the village dispensary. I got off to a great start today when the nurses left me in charge during their lunch break. A patient came so I went to try and find them but all I knew was they were in one of the surrounding huts. I went to the closest hut and the door was a little open so I stuck my head in, but there was a lady right inside standing butt naked bathing herself!!! She screamed so I screamed and then I just ran away, but she is clearly going to know it was me as I am the only white person for a 20 mile radius...
Other than that I pretty much just sat in the dispensary and distracted people from their pain by being white. Oh and the nurses made me take pictures with them. Posing as their patient. It was very bizzarre.
Collins, my main go-to person for everything, got called in two months early by his college and left yesterday, and my phone stopped working (oh my number is +10910418292), but at least I have internet for the moment! And I have more phone numbers, dinner invitations, and even sleepover invitations than I can keep track of. Everyone wants to have the mzungu in his house! My first computer lesson is tomorrow so I guess I should get some sleep, but I miss you all!

3 comments:

  1. Ellie, nice posting, you funny girl. If someone wants to call you from the U.S. they need to put some extra numbers in front of the one you gave above: 011-254-7-10-418-292
    A calling card from Speedy Pin makes it only 6.5 cents/minute!

    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank your mom very much for putting that up, seeing as I've been trying to call you and it hasn't been working (now that I have a legitimate number to call it will probably work). Everything you're doing sounds so fascinating! I can't wait to hear more.

    Love and miss you,

    Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ellie-
    This is really fun to read, sounds like you are having a really interesting and great time. I laughed out loud reading the story about you screaming and running away from the naked lady. But anyways, sounds like you are doing a great job improvising and doing cool stuff, I can't wait to read your next post! I miss you a ton, I will try and call you sometime too (although I don't know what the time difference is or anything).

    ReplyDelete